Our AmeriCorps VISTA project
Volunteer Iowa Rural Development and Opioid VISTA Project
About the Project
Our Purpose: The VISTA project, through service and volunteering, will seek to create a climate where economically disadvantaged individuals and students are provided the tools needed for academic success and financial well-being and communities have the resources needed to address the substance abuse such as opioid use.
Volunteer Iowa AmeriCorps VISTA Priorities
Economic Opportunity: AmeriCorps VISTA’s commitment to ending poverty requires focusing on project sponsors that provide opportunities to low-income individuals to get training, education and skills that will meet the needs of employers. In addition, projects that focus on asset building are encouraged to apply. Volunteer Iowa will continue to give priority to projects that support and/or facilitate access to services and resources that contribute to the improved economic well-being and financial security of economically disadvantaged people in rural communities.
VISTA project activities should focus on the following objectives of Economic Opportunity:
- Employment: Improving or creating job skills training programs that lead to increased employment
- Financial Literacy: Improving access to services and benefits aimed at contributing to enhanced financial literacy
- Housing: Transitioning individuals into or helping them remain in safe, healthy, affordable housing.
Education: AmeriCorps VISTA will give priority to projects that support and/or facilitate access to services and resources that contribute to improved educational outcomes for economically disadvantaged children.
Projects should focus on the following objectives:
- School readiness for economically disadvantaged young children
- K-12 success in student educational and behavioral outcomes in low-achieving schools
- Post-secondary success
Healthy Futures: The VISTA program will give priority to projects that meet health needs, including access to food resources and health care, for economically disadvantaged individuals.
Projects should support the following Healthy Futures Objectives:
- Obesity and Food (Food Resources): Improving access to nutritious food.
- Access to Health Care: Connecting economically disadvantaged individuals to preventative and primary health care services.
- Bring culturally relevant services to underserved groups according to age, geography, and disability
- Create wrap-around support including physical, mental, and social welfare elements
- Education, Resource Development, Prevention, and Treatment: Increase and improve services to low-income individuals affected by substance abuse.
How You Can Partner with Us
By completing a host site application you can request one or more full time VISTA members to complete a year of service meeting a specific need in your community. This Application Guidance will detail Volunteer Iowa, the larger AmeriCorps VISTA program, and key details about utilizing full time VISTA members to fight poverty and build capacity in your community. Please read this document in its entirety before completing the host site application.
For more information, contact Julie Struck at 515.348.6238 or firstname.lastname@example.org.