Governor's Volunteer Awards
Submissions started being accepted March 1st; join our e-mail subscription list to receive announcements about this award program and other Volunteer Iowa news. Regional recognition ceremonies for the summer of 2018 have not yet been scheduled, but are being planned in June in Ottumwa, Des Moines, Marion, Cedar Falls, Storm Lake, and Council Bluffs.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: APRIL 13, 2018
The Governor's Volunteer Award program provides an easy way to honor the dedicated people who volunteer their time and talent to help an agency or organization deliver on its mission. There is no review process at the state level to decide who does or does not get an award; by simply submitting the information, the person completing the form is verifying that the individual or group listed is deserving of this honor.
Nonprofits, charitable organizations, and government entities (city, county, state, and federal) may recommend a Governor's Volunteer Award for an individual volunteer or group of volunteers who directly assisted the organization with a project, event, or activity. A $15 handling fee per award helps cover the cost of printing certificates, invitations, and ceremony materials, as well as memento photos, pins, and postage. Awards are presented during regional recognition events held each summer.
Recommendations for awards must be submitted by someone representing the organization that received the service of the volunteer(s) and may be submitted in one of three categories:
- Individual (one person providing outstanding volunteer service)
- Group (two or more individuals who volunteer together as a team)
- Length of Service (volunteers who have served the organization multiple years; awards available only in increments of five years, e.g., 5, 10, 15, etc.)
Recipients are not required to live in Iowa, but their service must have benefited an Iowa organization and/or the people it serves. People previously honored with an Individual Award should not receive another, but may be selected once every five years for a Length of Service Award.
All information must be submitted online and approved by an official Governor’s Volunteer Awards coordinator or they may not be honored. Award recipient information can be submitted using one of the following methods:
1) NON-STATE GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS must submit information, and $15 per award, through Volunteer Iowa (see detailed instructions below). Recommendations are accepted from:
- City governments
- Community colleges
- County governments
- Federal government units operating in Iowa
- Iowa Mentoring Partnership certified programs
- K-12 schools (public and parochial)
- National Service programs operating in Iowa (AmeriCorps, Senior Corps)
- Nonprofit and charitable organizations
- Private colleges and universities
2) STATE GOVERNMENT AGENCY EMPLOYEES must request a link to the appropriate online form through their agency's coordinator, listed here.
Contact the Governor's Volunteer Award program coordinator at Volunteer Iowa via e-mail or by phone: 515.348.6226 (1.800.308.5987).