AmeriCorps State Grants
Each year Volunteer Iowa grants and administers around $6.5 million of AmeriCorps State funding in Iowa through a competitive grant process. Programs may be awarded funding at the national level (through competitive funding) or state level (through formula funding).
- Volunteer Iowa posts its Requests for Applications for AmeriCorps State on IowaGrants (www.iowagrants.gov) under "Grant Opportunities" or “Funding Opportunities.” This typically happens in late summer or early fall.
- Potential applicants need not register with IowaGrants in order to review the funding opportunity but will have to create an account in order to apply.
- The Iowa application materials are based on the AmeriCorps State and National notices of funding opportunity and application instructions, but organizations that wish to operate an AmeriCorps State program solely within Iowa must follow the Volunteer Iowa application process.
- If there is no AmeriCorps State funding opportunity posted in IowaGrants, then we are not currently accepting applications. A copy of the most recent Request for Applications can be reviewed using the following link:
Requirements of AmeriCorps State Grantees
- Applicants must be an eligible host agency (nonprofit, government agency, etc)
- Program design must propose to engage a minimum of 10 full-time equivalent AmeriCorps members (unless a waiver request is granted)
- Programs must address a demonstrated community need. Federal and state level priority areas are established each year in the Request for Applications
- Applicants are required to demonstrate community support and the ability to provide cash and/or in-kind match for a percentage of the grant funds
- Programs must have a plan to engage community volunteers
- Review the Request for Grant Applications (RFA) from Volunteer Iowa and determine which timeline corresponds to your application (new or returning program): late summer/early fall
- Submit grant pre-applications to Volunteer Iowa
- Returning programs: mid to late fall
- New programs: rolling deadlines from fall through spring
- Pre-applications are reviewed by staff and Volunteer Iowa notifies applicant of status for final application
- Returning programs: late fall
- New programs: within approximately one month of pre-application submission
- Submit final applications to Volunteer Iowa by the deadline provided in the pre-application feedback
- Returning programs: late fall to early winter
- New programs: late fall to mid spring
- Final applications are reviewed and scored by a grant review committee.
- Competitive funding (national reviewers prepare clarification and/or resolution questions for applicants, who respond within the application system or via email): mid winter to late spring
- Formula funding (local committee members prepare questions for applicants, who appear before the committee to discuss their proposal): mid spring to early summer
- Late spring: Competitive funding decisions are announced for those who applied the previous fall/winter
- Late spring/early summer: Volunteer Iowa announces which applicants will receive funding from our state formula pool. Programs work with staff to finalize program details
- Fall/winter: First day of the program year for AmeriCorps State programs. Grants are awarded on a one year (formula) to three year (competitive) basis
The IowaGrants application page includes technical assistance materials, such as Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and informational webinar dates. Volunteer Iowa encourages organizations to contact our staff to learn how to submit the best application.