Volunteers with Disabilities
Volunteer Iowa supports opportunities for individuals with disabilities to participate in volunteer service. Continue reading below to find out about opportunities for those with disabilities to participate in our AmeriCorps programs and in special service events.
Gaining More and Giving Back with AmeriCorps Iowa
Iowa is proud of its commitment to inclusion and providing opportunity for all who seek to serve. Volunteer Iowa works to recruit AmeriCorps members with disabilities to national service and provides assistance and referrals to support members who may need accommodations to perform the duties of their service assignments.
If you are an individual with disabilities who is considering joining an AmeriCorps program:
- AmeriCorps benefits (living allowance, health insurance, and childcare and education award) are excluded from countable income for recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- These benefits may have an impact on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) eligibility. Recipients of SSDI benefits should work with their Social Security office if they are considering joining an AmeriCorps program.
For more information about national service opportunities available in Iowa or nationwide:
- Visit www.americorps.gov and search the state of Iowa.
- Are you age 55 or above? Check out Senior Corps!
- Call toll free 1-800-308-5987 or TTY (202) 606-3472.
- Upon request, this material will be made available in alternative forms.
**AmeriCorps offers service opportunities to people age 17 and older without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation or other non-merit factors. Members must be a U.S. citizen or a national and lawful permanent resident alien.