2021-2022 Iowa AmeriCorps State - Additional Funding Opportunities Announced
Special Competition - Updated Funding Opportunity
Volunteer Iowa is pleased to announce the availability of extended deadlines to apply for AmeriCorps State program and planning grants for 2021-2022.
For this special competition, Volunteer Iowa particularly seeks programs that address the following priorities:
- Program grants engaging in efforts to help local communities recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. Applicants may propose programming in any AmeriCorps focus area to aid communities as they recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Program grants engaging in efforts to help local communities recover from the August 2020 derecho. Applicants may propose programming in any AmeriCorps focus area to aid communities as they recover.
- Program grants that actively engage in removing structural racial inequities, advancing racial equality, and increasing opportunity in order to achieve sustainable change in communities.
- Planning grants to plan for a program that engages AmeriCorps members in evidence-based or evidence-informed service activities.
Key Dates & Deadlines
Submission of the required Pre-Application for the Special Competition is due no later than April 20, 2021. Check the IowaGrants funding opportunity for the full timeline and application details.
- Special Competition Updated Funding Opportunity Announcement & Pre-Application Instructions Published: 3/8/2021
- Special Competition Pre-Application Deadline: 4/20/2021
- Special Competition Final Application Deadline: Volunteer Iowa will assign following review of the Pre-Application
Potential AmeriCorps program sponsors who do not meet the criteria for the Special Competition have one remaining deadline, March 16, 2021, to submit a required Pre-Application for the Regular 2020-2021 Iowa AmeriCorps State Competition.
- Regular Competition Funding Opportunity Announcement & Pre-Application Instructions Published: 8/18/2020
- Regular Competition Pre-Application Deadline: 3/16/2021
- Regular Competition Final Application Deadline: 4/6/2021
Interested applicants are encouraged to sign up for the mailing list to stay up-to-date about the competitions.
Iowa AmeriCorps State Funding Description
AmeriCorps State and National grants provide funding to help organizations manage an AmeriCorps program, which involves recruiting, training, and supporting AmeriCorps members who serve on a full-time or part-time basis to help the organization address a community need. Grants are awarded on a competitive basis to projects that support organizational capacity-building, education, healthy futures, environmental stewardship, veterans and military families, economic opportunities, public safety, disaster preparedness/response, and other identified community issues in Iowa. Successful programs utilize service as a strategy to meet community needs, while supporting the development and growth of the AmeriCorps members serving with the organization. AmeriCorps State planning grants do not provide AmeriCorps member funding but instead provide organizations with funds to pay for the staff/consultant time needed to develop plans for and prepare to launch an AmeriCorps program.
An AmeriCorps member is an individual who engages in community service through an approved national service position. AmeriCorps members also mobilize community volunteers and strengthen the capacity of the organizations they serve. Members typically receive a living allowance and other benefits from the sponsor organization while serving. Upon successful completion of their service, members earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award from the National Service Trust that they can apply to qualified student loans or use to pay for higher education expenses.
Applicants for this funding will need to reference the complete application materials to be posted to IowaGrants (https://iowagrants.gov/insideLinkOpps.jsp?documentPk=1593580414480), including the Volunteer Iowa Request for Applications (RFA) and appendices, the Volunteer Iowa Pre-Application Instructions, the Volunteer Iowa Final Application Instructions, the AmeriCorps Mandatory Supplemental Instructions, and the AmeriCorps Performance Measure Instructions. Applications will be accepted only from organizations seeking funding to operate a program wholly within the state of Iowa (multi-state applicants apply directly to AmeriCorps). Multi-state AmeriCorps National Direct applicants that intend to place members in Iowa must consult with Volunteer Iowa regarding these intended placements using the process and link provided in the RFA.
Disclosure: Publication of this Funding Opportunity Announcement does not obligate Volunteer Iowa or AmeriCorps to award any specific number of grants or to obligate any particular amount of funding. The actual level and timing of grant funding will be subject to the availability of annual federal appropriations.