Governor's Volunteer Awards Instructions
FOR NONPROFITS, CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS, AND NON-STATE GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS ONLY
State government agency staff members should request more information from their agency's awards coordinator
If you have questions that are not covered here, contact Jody Benz at Volunteer Iowa, email@example.com, 515.348.6226 or 1.800.308.5987.
The Governor's Volunteer Award program provides an easy way to honor the dedicated people who volunteer their time and talent to help an agency or organization deliver on its mission. There is no review process at the state level to decide who does or does not get an award; by simply submitting the information, the person completing the form is verifying that the individual or group listed is deserving of this honor.
Nonprofits, charitable organizations, and government entities (city, county, state, and federal) may recommend a Governor's Volunteer Award for an individual volunteer or group of volunteers who directly assisted the organization with a project, event, or activity. A $15 handling fee per award helps cover the cost of printing certificates, invitations, and ceremony materials, as well as memento photos, pins, and postage. Awards are presented during regional recognition events held each summer.
Recommendations for awards must be submitted by someone representing the organization that received the service of the volunteer(s) and may be submitted in one of three categories:
- Individual (one person providing outstanding volunteer service)
- Group (two or more individuals who volunteer together as a team)
- Length of Service (volunteers who have served the organization multiple years; awards available only in increments of five years, e.g., 5, 10, 15, etc.)
Recipients are not required to live in Iowa, but their service must have benefited an Iowa organization and/or the people it serves. People previously honored with an Individual Award should not receive another, but may be selected once every five years for a Length of Service Award.
Information Required to Complete Online Form
- Full name and home mailing address of the recipient (including a specific contact person for group awards)
- Phone number
- E-mail address (optional)
- Short description of why the individual or group was selected for an award (approximately 500 characters)
- Contact information for the person submitting the information
Once the form is complete, click the SAVE button; a message confirming your submission and a new, blank form will appear. Enter another name if you have one, or simply close your web browser.
Handling Fee: Follow up your submission(s) by sending a check for $15 per award, payable to State of Iowa, to Volunteer Iowa, ATTN: Governor’s Volunteer Awards, 200 East Grand Ave., Des Moines, IA 50309; there is no online payment option available. Payment deadline is May 1; include the name(s) of your nominee(s) with your check.