Volunteer Position: Video Production Intern
Volunteer Iowa (Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service) is looking for an energetic, independent unpaid intern to help advance the work of the Commission and strengthen the awareness of Volunteer Iowa. This opportunity is great for experienced students who want to lend their time and talent to a worthwhile cause. Interns with the following backgrounds are ideal for the position: Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or Journalism.
Volunteer Iowa is a state agency whose mission is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering. One major aspect of our work is helping organizations learn how to utilize volunteers to maximize the services they provide. Another important role we have is encouraging all Iowans to serve. With our ever-changing technology, Volunteer Iowa recognizes that we must remain diligent about staying ahead of the curve, and offering a way to experience our organization in new ways. We recognize that the public has many ways to connect with us, along with many other organizations across the state (and the world), and it is imperative to build upon our foundation and enhance the growth of our programs. We must amplify our message and invite new partners to join with us in our efforts to foster civic engagement through service and volunteering across Iowa. Our organization has many programs, where intentional efforts are needed to create effective videos that can help us connect more with people across the state of any age and demographic. The Video Production Intern will report to the staff Communications & Engagement Officer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Attend various volunteer-related, national service events, and other assigned projects to:
1. Photograph/Video Volunteers, National Service members, program partners
2. Ensure photo/video release forms are collected as required
• Meet/consult with staff and internal IEDA communications staff to ensure compliance with agency graphic standards
• Provide final digital photographs/videos and copyright release (if needed) to Volunteer Iowa staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
We are seeking individuals who have a background and/or interest in public relations, marketing, and volunteering.
o Understanding of Adobe Creative Cloud and various brands of cameras available for use
o Good artistic capacity, and strong verbal, organizational, visual and written communication skills
o Able to produce professional looking photos/videos with high resolution
o Have experience with Photoshop or other video/picture editing programs
o Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
o Be of at least Junior status to be versed enough in studies to apply concepts learned in class to the internship experience
o Ability to effectively manage time and multi-task
o Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
o Ability to define and work to deadlines
o Have access to a computer, internet and necessary software when away from the office (as needed)
o Understand mission and vision of Volunteer Iowa
o Assist in identifying opportunities based on new developments in this field
o Present professional, but friendly posture with colleagues and others
o Maintain high ethics with communications and daily work tasks
Length of commitment: Spring 2018 semester
Estimated total hours: whatever is needed to complete the internship based on the college’s hourly design
At discretion of intern, in coordination with assigned staff supervisor
Will be determined based on student’s schedule around classes and other commitments
WORKSITE: This is a position that will require both in-person work at the Volunteer Iowa, some virtual/online work, and work from home, to be completed using the intern’s own computer equipment, phone, and Internet connection, along with equipment provided by Volunteer Iowa. During regular business hours, the Volunteer Iowa office, computers and phones may be available.
All materials/videos created by the Video Production Intern are the rights of Volunteer Iowa.
BENEFITS OF WORKING WITH US:
• Opportunity to support the efforts of Volunteer Iowa
• Passionate staff and volunteers
• Fun projects and focus
• Small, 20-year-old organization: flexibility, adaptability and the possibility to learn about state government operations, volunteer management and national service.
• Record of volunteer service for related work and school purposes
• Ability to participate in agency training and/or advancement activities
• Acknowledgement of contributions on website; letters of recommendation, resume builder, etc.
VOLUNTEER IOWA AGREES TO:
• Provide the intern with a copy of the volunteer/intern policies
• Provide position description and agreement
• Provide orientation, learning opportunities and resources to prepare intern for service
• Provide login and editing access for technology systems as needed
• Provide ongoing support, guidance, feedback and performance evaluation
• Give recognition for contributions to Volunteer Iowa and State of Iowa
VOLUNTEER AGREES TO:
• Provide information to update application and contact information as changes occur
• Participate in orientations, position-related courses and learning opportunities
• Meet with appropriate groups/teams/volunteers as agreed for ongoing support and evaluation
• Devote sufficient time and energy to fulfill the outlined position requirements
• Support the mission and values, as well as the commission’s activities and goals
• Comply with the policies, safety guidelines and procedures
• Acknowledge that the position is an unpaid, intern position offered through Volunteer Iowa, www.volunteeriowa.org
About Volunteer Iowa (or Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service)
Volunteer Iowa and its partner agencies work with organizations and individuals on three main fronts. The first is to help agencies develop quality programs that use service as a strategy to fulfill their missions and address Iowa’s greatest areas of need. The second is to help engage Iowans in their communities by promoting service and expanding the volunteer base. Finally, the third area of work is to connect individuals with appropriate service opportunities by building the volunteer infrastructure. More information is available at volunteeriowa.org.
If you have questions about this position description, or Volunteer Iowa, please contact us!
Brianne Fitzgerald, Communications & Engagement Officer
No phone calls please
200 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
1.800.308.5987 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.volunteeriowa.org