Quick Reference Guide for Posting Days of Service Volunteer Projects Online
Volunteer Iowa and Volunteer Centers across Iowa use Get Connected, a leading online volunteer recruitment system, to promote participation in volunteer projects for all designated Days of Service.
There is no need to post volunteer opportunities on multiple websites. Postings added to the statewide Get Connected system are automatically imported into additional search engines—such as Serve.gov and AllforGood.org—to help you reach the largest pool of potential volunteers possible. Plan to post your call for volunteers at least two weeks before the project to take advantage of pre-service day publicity.
New to Get Connected? If you don’t already have an account, it’s very easy to create one:
- Go to www.volunteeriowa.org and click the Post a Volunteer Opportunity button.
- Click the link to the system entry point for the county in which your office is located.
- Click the Sign Up button.
- Enter your agency's information and click Create Your Account. An administrator will review and approve your application, and you will receive an e-mail confirmation.
Once your account is established, follow these steps to add an opportunity:
- Login to your account, following the instructions included in your confirmation message. Alternate method: go to www.volunteeriowa.org, click on Post a Volunteer Opportunity, and use the link to the system entry point for your county to reach the LOGIN button.
- Click on the Opportunities tab.
- Click Add New Opportunity button.
- Supply the requested information. Helpful hints:
- Include a short, catchy title to pique interest and show up well in web searches. Examples:
- “Volunteer with Animals”, rather than “We desperately need dog walkers”
- “Branding Guru”, rather than “Help develop marketing materials”
- “Green Guerrilla”, rather than “Help pick up trash”
- Use a clear description – explain project goals and the importance of the project to your organization, program, community, or clients you serve. Include specifics, such as: lunch will be provided; volunteers should bring their own gloves and water bottles etc.
- Select the appropriate Cluster name for your project from the dropdown list of Days of Service (MLK Day, Veterans Day, September 11, etc.). Utilizing the cluster feature of the system makes it easier for volunteers (and the media) to find out about your project.
- Upload your volunteer waiver if you have one that volunteers should read and complete in advance.
- Click Create Opportunity. Your opportunity will appear online as soon an administrator has reviewed and approved it.
Follow up quickly to responses — Volunteers will use the Get Connected system to complete a brief response form to express interest in your opportunity; you will receive their information by e-mail. These messages should be followed up on promptly! A quick response to a volunteer builds goodwill and encourages the volunteer to return to you when new opportunities become available.
If you have any questions or need assistance posting your volunteer opportunities, please contact Volunteer Iowa at email@example.com, 515.348.6226, or 1.800.308.5987.