Iowa AmeriCorps State Funding Announcement
The Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service (Volunteer Iowa) is pleased to announce a Request for Applications for Iowa AmeriCorps State programs to operate in 2023-2024.
For the 2023-2024 application process, Volunteer Iowa particularly seeks programs that address the following priorities, drawn from Iowa's State Service Plan:
- Programs that are part of or utilize a comprehensive community strategy.
- Programs or strategies that engage underrepresented populations and those that provide a high return on investment.
- Programs in geographic areas that are underserved or have the highest need.
- Programs that address disparities in rural communities or with minorities.
- New service opportunities to develop community capital in the following areas:
- State legislative & national service focus areas
- Governor’s priority areas such as Future Ready Iowa, supporting Iowa’s energy plan, childcare and enrichment, digital literacy and education
Applicants for this funding will need to reference the complete application materials to posted to the AmeriCorps State grants page of the Volunteer Iowa website including the Volunteer Iowa Competitive Request for Applications (RFA) and appendices, the Volunteer Iowa Pre-Application Instructions, the Volunteer Iowa Review Criteria & Final Application Instructions, the AmeriCorps Mandatory Supplemental Guidance (“Guidance”), and the AmeriCorps Performance Measure Instructions. Applications will be accepted only from organizations seeking funding to operate a program wholly within the state of Iowa (multi-state applicants apply directly to the Corporation for National and Community Service). Multi-state AmeriCorps National Direct applicants that intend to place members in Iowa must consult with Volunteer Iowa regarding these intended placements using the process and link provided in the RFA.
Deadlines for submission of the required Pre-Application and Final Application can be found on the AmeriCorps State grants page.
Full details about the Request for Applications can be found in the announcement.
Iowa Mentoring Summit
The Iowa Mentoring Summit, convened by Iowa MENTOR, will bring together mentoring professionals from across the state for professional development and networking.The summit will be held from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm on Thursday, October 27 at the Fred Maytag Scout Center in Des Moines. There is no cost to participate. Please register in advance.
Get Involved with Academic Survey on Cutting Edge Volunteerism
Researchers from the University of Minnesota are conducting a survey on the psychology of volunteering. Individuals who volunteer are requested to participate in the survey. Volunteers who complete the survey by November 30th, 2022, will be entered into a drawing to win a $10 Amazon gift card. The survey will take up to 20 minutes and it is recommended the survey be completed on a computer as it will be quicker. It is possible to take a break and come back later to finish it. If you have any questions or concerns, you can reach out to Joshua Braverman, the doctoral student investigator. Please share this opportunity with your volunteers, and if you volunteer, complete it yourself. Thank you for helping to advance the field of volunteer engagement!
Green Iowa AmeriCorps Receives Innovation and Leadership Award
Green Iowa AmeriCorps, along with seven other leaders from across the nation, were recognized virtually on Thursday, September 22 at the 2022 Innovation and Leadership Awards, hosted by America’s Service Commissions (ASC). The awards program is held each year to recognize the accomplishments of state and territorial service commission staff, commissioners, service programs, and champions of national service throughout the United States and its territories. The festivities kicked off a year’s worth of celebrations in honor of ASC’s 25th anniversary, which will culminate in September 2023.
Green Iowa AmeriCorps received the Outstanding Service Program award for truly embodying the two-pronged goal of AmeriCorps by providing not only significant community impact but also meaningful member service experiences that translate into lifelong skills and opportunities.
Complete information on the awards, along with a list of all of the 2022 awardees, is available on ASC’s website.
Volunteer Iowa announces a Request for Applications for AmeriCorps VISTA Projects
Founded in 1965, Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) is a public program designed to provide men and women who act as the resources for non-profit organizations and public offices to increase their ability to assist in lifting communities out of poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA provides opportunities for Americans eighteen years of age and older from diverse backgrounds to dedicate a year of service with non-profit organizations or public entities (as a host organization) to create or to expand efforts designed to empower low-income individuals and communities.VISTA members serve for one year in full time position with a host organization. In exchange, VISTAs receive a living allowance as well as other benefits while serving. Upon successful completion of their term, members receive an education award to assist them in paying for costs at qualified institutions of higher education, to pay for educational workforce training, to repay qualified student loans, or they may opt for an end of term cash stipend.
Applications are now being accepted to begin a VISTA project in the spring or the summer of 2023. Applications must be received by January 31, 2023.All applicants will receive consultation by the Volunteer Iowa staff prior to and during the application process.You can find the VISTA application and accompanying guidance on the Volunteer Iowa VISTA page. To set up a consultation for your proposal to host a VISTA, or to learn more, please contact Julie.Struck@VolunteerIowa.org.
Iowa MENTOR Receives Capacity Building Grant
Iowa MENTOR received a capacity building grant from MENTOR National. The purpose of these grants is to strengthen the Core Functional Areas for organizational health and sustainability to ensure Affiliates are high-functioning quality, equity-oriented organizations with strong operations and mission-aligned strategy. The grant will support marketing and outreach to connect with youth-serving organizations across the state. It is part of the gift from philanthropist Mackenzie Scott to “286 Teams Empowering Voices the World Needs to Hear.”
AmeriCorps Senior Demonstration Program Launches at Volunteer Iowa
Volunteer Iowa is currently looking for organizations or volunteers interested in participating in the AmeriCorps Senior Demonstration Program. The Senior Demonstration Program is a new initiative launched by AmeriCorps that advances the work of Foster Grandparents and RSVP through intergenerational programming and capacity building. Organizations and volunteers within these programs work to improve youth social-emotional skills and/or academic engagement or improve organizational efficiency and/or reach. Volunteer Iowa assists organizations in becoming volunteer stations and places volunteers ages 55+ at stations across the state. If your organization is interested in utilizing seniors' volunteers or you are interested in serving, please reach out to email@example.com. Learn more about the program via Volunteer Iowa’s informational webinar.
Service in the News
- Heather Satterly in detail
- Iowa Governor presents Volunteer Awards in Storm Lake
- STARS Mentoring Program Presentation Given at School Board Meeting
- Northwest Bank receives Governor’s Volunteer Award
Current Volunteer Iowa Opportunities
Volunteer with us! Volunteer Iowa is always on the lookout for individuals who want to give back and help support our work. Find general volunteer opportunities with Volunteer Iowa. We currently have two positions open with immediate need:
- Volunteer Iowa seeks a detail-oriented volunteer to assist with improvements to the statewide Get Connected database. This database provides the ability for individuals and groups across the state to find and register for meaningful volunteer opportunities and improves the ability for nonprofits and organizations who are in need of volunteer assistance to have those needs met. The volunteer will ensure the information contained in the database is up-to-date, create resources to ensure usability of the site, and develop a promotion plan to reach organizations and individuals who could benefit from the service. This opportunity can be completed virtually and scheduled at the volunteer’s discretion. Learn more and sign up today.
- Volunteer Iowa is seeking a creative, independent volunteer to support project-based graphic design work. Your work would assist Volunteer Iowa in promoting resources, trainings, and grants available to help nonprofits across the state improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement though service and volunteering. It would also support the recognition of outstanding volunteers across Iowa. Projects would be provided on an as-needed basis, including updating current materials, developing web banners, and creating new flyers and outreach materials.
Join the ranks of other AmeriCorps VISTA members serving in organizations across the state helping to alleviate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA provides opportunities for Americans eighteen years of age and older from diverse backgrounds to dedicate a year of service with non-profit organizations or public entities (as a host organization) to create or to expand efforts designed to empower low-income individuals and communities. VISTA members serve for one year in full time position with a host organization. More information about joining VISTA and a current list of AmeriCorps VISTA opening in Iowa can be found on our AmeriCorps VISTA page.
- October 5: National Do Something Nice Day
- October 10: World Mental Health Day
- October 22: National Make a Difference Day
- October 27: National Civics Day
- October 30: National Speak Up for Service Day
- October 31: Halloween
- November 2: National Stress Awareness Day
- November 11: Veteran’s Day (Volunteer Iowa office closed)
- November 15: National Philanthropy Day
- November 12-20: National Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week
- November 19: Family Volunteer Day
- November 24: Thanksgiving Day (Volunteer Iowa office closed)
- November 25: Native American Heritage Day (Volunteer Iowa office closed)
Looking for a way to give back? Visit Get Connected today to find volunteer opportunities. Organizations can post volunteer opportunities on Get Connected as well at no cost.