AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members provide service that aims to eliminate poverty. What members do in Iowa:
- Help to build capacity in nonprofits, government agencies, and faith-based groups.
- Work to decrease school achievement gaps, improve civil rights, increase availability of affordable housing, and coordinate response to disasters.
- Rather than offering direct service, AmeriCorps VISTA activities emphasize tasks such as fundraising, grant writing, creating training programs, and developing or improving agency systems.
Find current AmeriCorps VISTA openings in Iowa
Volunteer Iowa MLK Day 2017 from Hannah Wright on Vimeo.
Being an AmeriCorps VISTA member:
- All AmeriCorps VISTA positions are full-time for one year
- All members receive a living allowance and qualify for health benefits. Members may be eligible for child care assistance.
- Upon successful completion of service, members have a choice of either the education award or a cash stipend.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to join VISTA, but there is no upper age limit.
- As with all AmeriCorps programs, applicants must meet the eligibility requirements for citizenship status and also the high school diploma or GED requirement/attainment.
Ready to join AmeriCorps VISTA? Contact Volunteer Iowa for more information by calling 515.348.6263 or emailing email@example.com. You can start searching for positions and applying immediately through the AmeriCorps website, https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do.