AmeriCorps VISTA members may be placed directly with Iowa nonprofit and government agencies through an agreement with AmeriCorps to become a VISTA project sponsor, or an agency may request a member through an existing VISTA project. AmeriCorps VISTA project sponsors and host sites have varying degrees of responsibility for financial support of the VISTA members, depending on the type of VISTA position(s) they are awarded.
Types of VISTA Members
- Standard members—require no cash contribution from the host; instead the project sponsors provide necessary in kind resources, such as supplies, office space and equipment, and administrative support.
- Cost-share members—the project sponsor must provide funds to help meet the costs of the VISTA member’s living allowance, in addition to providing in kind support.
- AmeriCorps VISTA program awards will contain a combination of standard and cost-share member slots.
How to Apply to AmeriCorps to be an AmeriCorps VISTA Project Sponsor
- Review the project information on the AmeriCorps VISTA section of the AmeriCorps website
- Applications for members are accepted on a rolling basis agencies are allowed to place members four times throughout the year.
- Project sponsors are responsible for overall management of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, including member recruitment and placement, reporting to AmeriCorps, and supervision of members and project sites.
How to Apply to be an AmeriCorps VISTA Host Site
- Complete and submit a host site application to Volunteer Iowa.
- Host sites are typically responsible for recruiting their own VISTA member(s), assigning a site supervisor to support the member, and reporting to the project sponsor. Sites are usually expected to contribute financially to the project.